Monday, September 04, 2006

Procrastination and other skills that don't appear on a resume

I've been seriously lax abut posting anything up here recently. There are many reasons for this. I had one entry all set to go, and almost all typed out. It was funny, witty - all-round hilarious, in fact. But it wasn't to be. Momentous events overtook my study of the life of one of the "beautiful people", and the world of blogs was doomed never to hear about my friend and her ability to make everything seem minor compared with the importance of hr glamorous existence, if only because it turns out that there is one thing that can make even that excitement seem insignificant - pure, incandescent, incoherant, blithering rage will, in fact, rule out pretty much any other thought, feeling, emotion. It will take over the world, for however long it takes to find your way through the red fog of "He must die"-ness. The he in question is the unjust, unreasoning fool who decided to terminate my employment contract for the most ironic of reasons - chat room usage.

Now I've never made any secret of the fact that I use the internet. But chat rooms are the one thing I have never visited while at work, and haven't used out of work hours since i finished high school many many years ago. So it was understandably devastating to lose my contract, a mere 7 weeks before I go away, as well, for something that was clearly a made up excuse. The rage really started to kick at the point where I realised that not only was I not going to get a chance to defend myself (he referred all my protests to the recruitment agency I was working through, an agency that he hadn't informed of any reasons for my finishing, and who could do nothing about it either). The part that really pushed me over the edge, though, was the fact that this was all done over the phone on a Tuesday, at about 2:30. So not only did he not have the guts to do it to me face to face like every other firing I've ever had, but he made me work through Monday, without givng me the option of going out and drowning my many sorrows.

So now I've entered the strange world of the office temp, a place where you turn up in new and exciting workplaces, only to find that you're getting paid fairly good money to twiddle your thumbs and raise the art of procrastination to never before seen levels. This is the first day where I've been able to speak (well, type) about what's been going on without bursting into a towering pyre of anger (today it's only simmering) and actually have internet access that is usable. I don't count last weeks posting in a role where I spent the day printing out the company web site. About 700 pages and a couple of hundred dollars later, and I go back there next week to finish the job. The irony was that, in spite of "working" on the internet that day, I had no access to anything else. So here I am, waiting patiently for the phone to ring, and wondering how I'm going to fill in the next four days here, questioning why it is that I went to unveristy when I could have the cruisiest job of all time just waiting right here, with half decent pay to boot. Why did they always discourage procrastination when I was younger? It is, apparently, a marketable skill - the ability to appear busy without actually achieving anything. Thankfully I have much practise at this, and can bluff my way through the rest. I'm just wondering why I never thought to add it to my resume under skills...

No comments: