Monday, February 18, 2008

So long, farewell...well, kind of.

I know, I know...I haven't posted in an eternity. I fell off the face of the internet and into an incredibly busy life for a while there, and then disaster struck - from all angles, all at once. That disaster knows how to plot the downfall of a cocky mere mortal who was beginning to think she had her life back on course at last. Meet a nice boy, head home for a nice Christmas and have a budget plan in place to let you not only pay the rent, but actually save money - the novelty! - as well as thinking that you've managed to esape the sickness that has knocked over everybody you have anything to do with, and you might as well be poking ou your tongue and pulling faces at fate, asking for something to go wrong. Well, it seems that the face I was pulling was particularly tempting.

One day, and the nice boy disappeared, the job was put on hold until I can produce a new visa, the budget was completely blown out of the water by the lack of work, and the nasty bug - the flu - struck. Actually, it wasn't even one day. It was all over the course of about 4 hours. Who knows why things happen that way, when circumstance conspire to see just how much you can handle without going round the bend or curling up in a little ball hoping that nothing else will happen (turns out, it will...while you're curled up on the couch, your boiler will go out and you'll have no hot water, and no heating).

So, after a week of brain wracking trying to find a solution, but really only discovering just how much Michael Buble and Snow Patrol get played during the day on Capital Radio, I'm bidding London a fond, and hopefully temporary, farewell. I'm off to Ireland for a while to keep myself amused while I wait out my visa. Sure, there will be visits back to my flat. The nostalgia won't be quite the same though. For starters, while I've been home, things have started to go right with the flat...the landlord finally seemed to grasp the concept that a leakng roof isn't ideal for anybody. Soon he'll realise that the leaking pipe in the downstairs hallway is also a problem, but not nearly as much as the lovely mushroom style fungus that is now growing underneath the drip on the wall and the carpet. Hmm...I wonder what Irish plumbing is like? Maybe there's a silver lining in every cloud after all...

No comments: