Monday, November 23, 2009

The Importance of Being Idle

As I sat and waited for the cold that won't die to leave my body - contemplating leaving my body myself, just to escape the bloody thing - I did, well, nothing today. Largely due to the fact that every time I attempted to move, either I suffered from separation anxiety (my tissue box and I are besties at the moment) or I suffered from extreme white-hot rods of pain through my sinuses. Or maybe that was just the anxiety kicking extra hard. Given choice between idleness, anxiety or pain, I chose idleness.

It's amazing what your brain throws up when you have vaguely hypochondriac tendencies and are actually sick. I spent a good half hour this morning wondering what would happen if the sinus infection took the worst case scenario and did actually do what it has threatened before, leaving me bed ridden while it slowly turned my head to mush. I'm not generally given to end-of-world scenarios, so it was amusing to indulge in every little detail, particularly dwelling on the guilt that would afflict Flatmate L when she discovered that her slurs about me pulling a sicky were completely off-base. I was interrupted by a phone call from her, wondering why I wasn't answering my work email address, and being cheered up no end by the observation, "Didn't you have Friday off as well? They're going to sack you." Thank you for the mood enhancer.

So, with my mind back at work, if not my body, I drifted to other thoughts, carefully lying still and watching Top Gear on BBC iPlayer (why does everything have to have an 'i' in it now? Even the electric car that they guys on Top Gear made had an 'i' somewhere in the name they gave it. And why is is always lower case?) And somewhere along the way, I strayed into pondering one of the guys who sits on the floor below mine.

I've had plenty of time to observe him. He started not long after me and, on days when I'm only slightly late, rather than horribly, I follow him into the office and he holds the door for me. We bump into each other in the kitchen sometimes, too. It's not a big office, so it's hardly surprising, really. But what is a little strange is that I've never heard him speak. I'm fairly certain that he can - word would have passed around far more quickly if he was mute, given our office-wide love of talking about each other - he just doesn't. It's only recently that he's even acknowledged that he's holding the door open for another person, giving a gentle smile and looking somewhere in the vicinity of my knees. I don't have great knees. There's no reason to stare at them. Mind you, I have to admit that I find his ankles inordinately fascinating. And it's for no other reason than them being on show so regularly.

He's a tall man, with the stoop of those over six foot who are generally surrounded by shorter people. I always assumed that it was to make it easier to hear what people were saying. I know I always end up bent double with my shorter friends, and I'm not nearly as tall as him. The thinning hair on top of his head suggests that he's kind of outgrown it. It never seems to get any thinner, so I assume that's just the way it's always been. With blond hair, blue eyes and seemingly good dentistry by English standards, he's not a bad looking boy. That's kind of why I noticed him in the first place. He dresses fairly stylishly on casual days. Not being lucky enough to be on my new floor, where they hide the cretins they don't allow the clients to see, he's generally dressed in business clothes. Which are a whole other story to his casual gear.

It must be easy to dress most men for the office. A pair of black trousers which may or may not be part of a suit. A white shirt. A tie to give a bit of variation. There are less rules about what's appropriate for different occasions. Some seem to wear the same basics and just shuffle the ties around to different days. This guy is no exception in that area, but there is one part of his wardrobe that I think someone really needs to sit him down and talk to him about. His trousers.

Have you ever seen the old movies, things where Cary Grant or Walter Matthau had their trousers pulled up around their arm pits? Think the male equivalent of granny-undies, but much more obvious to the world. Combine that look with bad posture and long legs, and you've got something close to what I'm talking about. His ankles must have frozen on snow day earlier this year, but he never thinks to pull the waistband down to sit somewhere near his hips, giving his ankles the coverage I've got no doubt they crave. Sometimes I get a tingling in my hands as I see him, and itch to go and give a good tug to the legs. He's known for it among the girls of the office, who call him Harry-High-Pants and rarely know his actual name. For someone who seems to go to such great lengths to hide themselves away, he draws an awful lot of attention with his trousers.

His jeans, well they seem to fit. It makes me wonder if his mother buys his work clothes, and has never quite gotten used to the idea that her son is all growed up now. He does seem a little like the type to get the final bit of his toothpaste wiped away with the corner of Mum's apron just before he leaves for work, packed lunch in hand. His casual clothes, he picks for himself. He looks far more comfortable in them, that's for sure. I think I've seen him actually talking to someone when he was wearing his jeans and a checked shirt. The change in him was remarkable. Not quite Clarke Kent/Superman, but not far short.

So why have I just written so much about a guy at work who doesn't speak to me, whose mother may still be buying his clothes, and who makes me giggle? Chalk it up to too many fluffy romance books while I've been sick. The winning out of the pain over the tissues is hopefully a sign that I'm on the mend. Or that the antibiotics will be kicking in soon, at any rate. Until then, I'm doomed to schmaltz. I apologise in advance.

No comments: