Sunday, December 05, 2010

The week of death

I'm in the process of dieting, trying to undo all the badness that was done during my race to the finish line on my thesis. It's going to take some work, apparently. I've entered the third week of the diet and, overall, I'm half a kilogram heavier than I was when I started, in spite of religiously checking my food, following a strict diet, and eating things that I would normally scrunch my nose as I turned away from. All in all, not the best way to spend the festive season, but I figured I'd seen enough sweet sugary or chocolatey things to get me through. Perhaps not. Cravings from hell for all things sugar, and nightmare withdrawal headaches for the first week. The headaches have eased, but it turns out that the cravings haven't.

And yes, the scales say I've actually gained half a kilo...what they don't tell you is that, due to what I think (i.e., hope) are ordinary fluctuations, I went up by 2.5kg in the first week. So I'm not telling myself that I've gained. Oh no, in my head, I've lost 2kg. Which sounds less impressive when you know that it's taken me 3 weeks to do it.Especially frustrating since the diet I'm following is supposed to drop a dress size in six weeks. Well, diet people, I'm halfway there. Where's my new wardrobe coming from? Oh, that's right. It's not. Because this week, not only am I entering the stage of dieting where I normally start to sneak back to my bad habits, but I'm also entering the week with the first Christmas party of the season. It's under three weeks to go, folks. My tree is up, my presents are, if not bought, then at least planned, and the festive season is in full swing. And I haven't had a a single mince pie yet. Not this month, anyway, and the one I had on a visit to Nana's doesn't count because, after all, she's my Nana... So, as the season gears up for the week of death for all diets, who thinks that this time next week I'll be griping about my eating habits? Yeah, fat chance...

No comments: