Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The thing

I have discovered some of the words that you would never really think about, but don't want to hear from your doctor. Don't jump to conclusions, it's not anything deadly. Just not what you want to hear.

I might have mentioned that I've messed up my back. It's still not better. And I took a day off work yesterday to go and see a doctor about it. When I described what was going on, his first words, before he'd examined me, were "how much sick leave do you have?" Not reassuring in the slightest. He then proceeded to cause more pain in my back than anyone has any right to do just by poking someone, and getting paid for the privilege.

But there you have it. I'm now standing, with my computer propped on my sewing box, instead of resting on the desk, and trying to avoid twisting. I'm off work until at least tomorrow, and I'm promised another bout with Doctor Bedside-Manner tomorrow. Meanwhile, my mother, who has back problems of her own, is worried silly, largely because of my grandmother hinting that my bad back is the result of a genetic mutation inherited from my mother, and offering to do everything from my grocery shopping to my dishes. As tempting as it is to let her do the lot, I realise that any inches given will be taken, run with, and multiplied until she is "just popping in" all the time. Thanks, but no.

So I'm trying not to let it stop me from doing too much. For instance, tonight, I'm off to a comedy show. I'm just planning on getting an aisle seat so I can stand up as necessary, that's all. I'm hoping laughter is the antidote for the words you don't want to hear when you think you're just going to be given some exercises to strengthen your back, because sick leave should never be used when you're actually sick. Such a waste...

No comments: