Wednesday, August 09, 2006

In Search of Filthy Lucre

People might have noticed some themes in the posts here, if they've been reading them regularly (has anybody except the people prodded into it by me read this regularly? If you're out there, please let me know!). One of the recurring thoughts is my lack of money - while i have no shortage of either debt, or other ways to spend cash in a hurry.

Well, I've discovered the internet as a way of making money. It is with that in mind that I now have Google AdSense ads on this page. I'm not going to ask people to click on them for my sake - that would only get me in trouble with the every so lovely people at Google, not something I'm wanting to do. I'm simply going to explain how they got there in the first place. This is a no-names no-pack-drill type of exercise, so the only thing I can say with absolute honesty and clarity is that I am not talking about myself in the following story. This isn't one of those "my 'friend' " stype stories. And now that I've got all the disclaimers out of the way, on with the show (which may prove to be a bad way to lead into this particular story...).

Let's just say, I have a friend. I have several, actually, but we're talking about a specific one here, not just the generic 'friend'. She's come upon harder times than I have, to the extent that she needs to find $2000 in a hurry - within the next 2 weeks, in fact - or she won't have anywhere to live. She's getting desperate for ideas and is heartened by the idea that her cousin has just announced to the family that she works as a stripper while she finishes her medicine studies - there are many crude jokes here that could be made, but I'm trying to resist the temptation to mention anatomy lessons. Apparently, the cousin has been encouraging her to take up the craft as well, promising her that there's no touching, fantastic money, and that the places look after their girls. I don't doubt any of that, but I've spent the whole day sending her messages and alternative suggestions for how to make the money in the sort of time frame she's looking at, or alterntive arrangements that give her a bit more time to get it together. Don't get me wrong; I'm certain that there are perfectly respectable women who work in strip clubs for a living. I've heard that it's a not uncommon way to support yourself while at uni, although I've never known anyone who admitted to it. So I've encouraged her (I can't even give her a nickname here, since I promised her not to tell anyone. Does this count?) to look at every alternative before acting, and tried coming up with a few myself.

In the process, I kind of evaluated a few of my own financial decisions that have led me to my present get-cash-anyway-that's-legal-and-lets-me-keep-my-clothes-on state of mind. I've signed up to do surveys, I've auditioned to go on gameshows - unsuccessfully, incidentally. I answered enough questions right to get onto Temptation, but it appears I wasn't "quirky" enough for them at the moment. Not bitter at missed oportunity to get stuff for knowing useless crap simply because I wasn't willing to come up with a goofy style of buzzer pushing on a smart people quiz. Not bitter at all. Huh! I say to their casting people! Huh! And on top of that I'm selling various bits of old tat on ebay. Anything to make sure that I never, NEVER end up in a situation where I'm seriously willing to consider taking my clothes off for money as a serious option - if only because I'm fairly certain that there are far more people out there who'll pay me to keep them on.

So, in the name of selfish self-promotion, yes, I'm in search of ways and means to get my website out there...spread the word peoples!!! (And yes, that s was deliberate. I'm certain there's more than one of you out there, I have faith!) Help me to keep my clothes on - and those of my friends!

No comments: