Wednesday, September 09, 2009

One Hundred Yards of Solitude

I spent today swimming in an ocean of empty office space. The girls I'm used to sitting near have now finished. They guys at the other end of the room seem to be a world away - and they make no noise. I've hardly spoken to anyone all day. It's a very strange feeling. But it did give me plenty of opportunity to do things other than work.

For instance, I spent a good sized chunk of the day researching for my Christmas trip with L to New York. We were very excited when we finally got around to booking, me having watched the fares go up gradually as I tried to pin her down on whether or not we were actually going. And now I've been watching the budget end of he accommodation market slowly dry up. And I've been finding out other things, apart from the fact that the "budget" end of the market in New York around New Years Eve has prices similar to the "holy crap that's expensive" end of the market in any other city at any other time of year. How many other places would set the bed rate - and this is bed only, just the one, with no ensuite bathroom privileges attached, no complimentary breakfast - at £90 a night, like one Times Square hostel has? Even worse, in how many places would you look at that location go, "Well, actually..."

Because before Ive even gotten there, I'm experiencing a slice of New York crazy. But apart from the nuts prices of the base rate for a bed, I'm having other problems. Assuming we do find a hotel that seems reasonably priced, that is in an area where I wouldn't be either spending my entire trip on the subway or be afraid of being mugged, I run up against another problem that exists solely because I'm not wanting to share a bed with the person I'm sharing a room with. Yes, because I have the temerity to be a single traveller with a friend, I am ineligible for half the hotels in New York. It looks that way from the internet, at any rate. A few emails fired off have shown that the response rate, the famous American customer service, is distinctly lacking, as well. Yet again, it's looking like I'm going to have to take a beating for being single. Like being in New York for New Years Eve and having nobody to snog at midnight isn't enough all on it's own...

But that's my gripe out of the way. Now I've just got to fend off more texts from excited family at home who keep demanding whether I'm packed for my Saturday flight, or not. It's Wednesday...If I'm packed any time before midnight on Friday, I'll think I've done well. In the meantime, save your cash, peoples.

1 comment:

Saz said...

Dude. Share a bed! Feel the love ;)