Thursday, November 13, 2008

Fear and Loathing

I have passed the point of being able to care about anything other than the two obsessions currently driving me back to regular blogging. Virgin and the Credit Crunch. The Credit Crunch and Virgin. It sounds like some crappy Holloywood comedy about a teenage girl and her breakfast cereal. But instead, the combination has me twitching and terrified, in equal measure.

The twitching I've dwelt on many times before. I'm hoping that it will be resolved today, as the heroic Virgin engineering team walk in slow motion down the stairs to my flat, where they will find my flat mate's ex-boyrfriend lurking there to ensure that they do their jobs. But surely such super heroes couldn't fail again? Especially given that the last lot of meg failures at least took the time to put fluorescent green paint around the point on the footpath that they need to look at, just in case there was a chance they could miss it. I'm certain that I will get home tonight to find a working telephone. About as sure as I am that I will sprout wings and fly home.

The terror comes from an entirely different source. I'm on rolling 2 month contracts at work, in an office that has just started its second round of redundancies. This time it's the senior staff who are under the hammer. But it makes me think about the fact that they're paying out people ho have been with the company for far longer than I have been, with much more knowledge to offer than I have. I'm sensing that my job is far from secure.

I've been looking around for something more permanent anyway, for the past couple of weeks. There is nothing out there, I keep being told. Or at least nothing that would suit me. The recruiters are either most apologetic, or almost rude in their rush to ignore me. This is the true source of my terror. Because without a job, I'm lost.

I've been looking into alternatives in case the worst should happen, trying desperately to think of something else to do. Sewing and writing are my other "things", and neither of them is terribly useful given my lack of application. I mean, I have three partial novels posted on a website to get feedback. One has been up for months, but the refining process has been...prolonged, shall we say. I'm the worst editor in the world. I tend to get very attached to some of my things. Take one of the novels, for example, which in short hand I refer to as 'Katie'. Katie has been on the go now for several years. It is a silly flippant read, about a silly flippant girl with a serious intelligent mother. I know it's overwritten. I know I have a deep and abiding love of adjectives and adverbs that bogs it down. I know it needs work. But I never seem to get around to it.

I still don't think I needed the lecture from one of the reviewers, who told me I should learn the rules governing the use of apostrophes, because I was using them 'as a grocer would' (note: it's called a typo, you anal retentive prat. Given that the rest of my work is riddled with them, and there were only 2 errors in apostrophe use in a 10,000 word piece, I'd have thought that much was obvious. Your own grammar could use some work, too, gramps). Nor did I deserve the comment that perhaps 'serious library-haunting girls would appreciate it, but he doubted it. It's not that bad - 8 out of 9 reviewers agree that it has potential - but I know it does need work. It was not deserving of the across-the-board 1s that he rated me. But in spite of being fired up and angry about him, terrified of the looming no-work-no-money-no-food-no-home scenario, and loathing pretty much everyone right now - especially Virgin - I'm finding it difficult to muster the energy to do anything about any of it.

So, if anybody knows of any good motivational techniques - or a half decent proof reader, because clearly I need one - feel free to drop me a line. I promise to save the invective for those, like Virgin and the idiotic reviewer, who truly deserve it.

No comments: