Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Is there anyone alive out there?

It seems that everyone at Virgin Media is either brain dead or terminally stupid. Harsh opening, perhaps, but that is the conclusion that the evidence I have seen to date leads me to. See, the saga of the phone line continues, as does the inevitable time with me listening to the lovely Miley Cyrus. Although today I did learn that the higher up the chain you go when you complain the more annoying the hold music gets.

Today was the day it was all supposed to be resolved, at last. I was promised that I would never have to make another complaining phone call. I was promised that if I did have to make such a call, I would have a landline on which to make it. I was promised, in short, everything that I should have had about a month back. As might be obvious from the fact that I'm writing about this yet again, Virgin has, once again, failed to deliver. This time the engineers did make it into the front yard. I was home sick - well, not sick exactly, but I have no leave left, I did need to make a trip to the doctors this morning, and would end up needing the afternoon off anyway, so to all intents and purposes, yes, I was sick. The massive pounding that's going through my head whenever I speak to Virgin now is sure to trigger some sort of brain explosion, so I figure 'sick' is a fair enough assessment. So I had a great vantage point to see the two men who came a poked around the garden for about 5 minutes before they disappeared. I was a little slow though. They'd gotten to the van and driven off once again before I could run after them and find out what their thoughts were. Because it's for damned sure that there's nobody at that bloody company who will call me to inform m of anything.

I did eventually call someone. I'm past the point of ranting now though. It was quite a reasoned conversation, which is miraculous when you think that the people on the other end of the phone were telling me exactly the same things that I was told by people almost exactly a month ago after the first technician came and told us that we'd need to get a new cable laid coming into the property. They told us back then that they needed to get council permits to dig up the footpath, which was why it would take 4 weeks to get someone out here to do it. It sounded wrong at the time, and it's proven to be even more wrong now, because it has never been mentioned again. Now all they say is that it is a construction issue and has been passed up the chain - escalated, in the techno-speak they use to bamboozle suckers who haven't heard it all before - and will be dealt with directly. Directly, in this case, seems to suggest that there will be another day off work required from either me or my flatmate. Joy of joys. They once again promised that I would be hearing from managers. They said there would be red carpet rolled out and rose petals under my feet...I would bathe in champagne and be dressed in head to toe gold...or something just as likely to happen, in any case, if that wasn't the exact wording they used. I even got told that there was nobody higher the complaint could go to, and that the failure of the manager to return my calls after the weekend would be investigated by someone called Dan Pearce. Again, I'm somewhat skeptical. There is no evidence to date that makes me think any of what they have promised will actually happen. The real catch, though, is that there is no telephone complaints department. There is no other avenue for me to go down if I want a phone line, short of going and signing up for one of the other companies. And don't think I haven't looked into them. I have. I still am. It's just that my inner optimist keeps taking over and thinking that it surely can't go on any further, that three engineers' visits will surely do the trick, that next time they will return the call. For all that my reason tells me otherwise, I hope that somewhere out there is some Virgin employee who actually does their job, and does it well. I keep getting sucked in, in short. I am one of those suckers born every minute that a great circus impressario once spoke about, when it comes to trusting corporations.

So, Mr Branson, if you're out there, and you're real, and you want people not bitching about what is one of the flagship enterprises of your mammoth company now you've sold off the megastores, I suggest spending a little less time figuring out how to get people to the moon on a budget, and a little more trying to make it so that they can order in a pizza without running up a phone bill the size of an African country's GDP. Step away from the balloon for a moment, and look back at where your money comes from. Because if this keeps up, the cash will end someday. Even my stupid dumb optimism will only stretch so far before it snaps.

No comments: