Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Please sir, I want some more...

I hate being broke. Hate it with a passion close to religion. When I have no money, I have no options. I have to prepare all my food out of whatever is in the pantry and the fridge. I have to wear the clothes that I have sitting in my cupboards and drawers. I have to go to places that are free, or else sit at home. I have to work. That's it. That's all there is. And right now, I am very broke indeed.

I switched to monthly pay from weekly not too long ago. Alright, it was almost six months now. That's beside the point. Come the end of every month, my bank balance has so many zeroes in it that it looks like binary code. Without the ones. But it isn't the end of the month right now. In fact, it's just past the middle of the month. And I've been existing on the grand total of £2 for the past fortnight. How on earth did I get in this situation?

It's a question I've asked myself many times. I'm yet to come up with an answer that doesn't shift from month to month. See, at least part of the reason always involves debt in some way, shape or form. I owed my flat mate bond on our new flat. I had a credit card to pay off. I didn't work for 4 months whilst still paying bills out of my company account and ended up owing the the government when tax time came around. Snow Patrol and Take That both release tickets to their concerts in the same week. Cheap airfares turn out to be attached to expensive cities - and even more expensive hotels. There are many reasons. The question is, why is there never a month without one? In theory, I earn very good money. I ought to be able to live in a very comfortable style. Yet here I am, petrified that I am going to lose my job and that I will, essentially, by out on the street with nothing. I own no property. I have no cash assets. All I have to show for many years in the workforce now is a long list of experiences, all with no financial value, and a mountain of personal debt that is larger than the GDP of several small countries.

It's not enough, not nearly. As the crisis looms - the axeman is poised over my job in a terrifying way, right now, like so many people in my industry, and there are few enough other positions out there that even the recruiters are turning away prospective applicants without giving reasons - it all starts to seem a little frivolous. I want my own house, my own car, a bank account with more than 30p in it, a grown up life like many of my friends seem to have. Yet they sit on the other side of the fence, eyeing off their mortgages and wondering what it must be like to be me, with no ties, nothing to keep me from whipping out the credit card (assuming it hasn't melted, but they don't know about my dirty little secret, debt, do they) and jetting off to some place where the words credit crunch simply don't translate. If only I could find it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The other side of the fence is always greener my dear. Here I am desperately wondering how I can sell my flat when it's worth less than I paid for it. I'm tied to it now, and all I want to do is get away... let's daydream awhile about the lives we could have, but don't. :)