Saturday, August 22, 2009

A day in the life

I'm about to spend yet another Saturday night camped out at home, one flatmate down with what appears to be swine flu - she's nice enough to hole up in her room rather than share the germs - the other having trotted off in a shower of complaints to a barbecue. I was invited to the barbie but declined, having a fairly large dislike of the host who has insulted meat least once every time I've seen him. I don't accept the apology of "That's just the way he is with everyone". Rudeness is still rudeness, even if it's unthinking. Sure, I gave as good, if not better, than I got on each occasion, but I'm not going to head along to his place and ask for it. Especially not when he passes comment on my lack of funds in the invite, then demands that we bring along food. Having compared notes with other invitees, it appears that he is merely responsible for the venue and the guest list. So I'm here, instead, a sad sack with a packet of chocolate coated raisins that I'm not allowed to eat any more of, and yet another bottle of full-sugar coke beside me and fading resolutions to eat healthily.

It's been a busy day. There was the conversation with Mum and Dad that took about an hour and a half. There was the trip to get some Norwegian money for my trip next weekend - unproductive, as it happened, but it was fun watching the girl in the booth take fifteen minutes to realise that with 3 $10 notes, 4 $5 notes and a collection of $1 she wasn't going to be able to make up the US$75 that someone was asking for. There was the bit where I gave up all hope of rain falling and saving Australia in the Ashes and started contemplating what sort of ear plugs I'd use to drown out the sound of the crowd on Monday, if it makes it that far. The incredibly satisfying moment when I found out that L and I would be getting the full bond back on our last flat, following my angry email which was so effective that the landlady emailed me, and called Liz rather than speak to me directly. The momentous decision to dye my hair a new and different colour - described on the box as hazelnut - and the wish that I'd been a little more brave and gone a little darker. And now we've reached this, Saturday night, and I'm here blogging.

So much for adventure.

No comments: