Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Not your average

As part of my healthy eating program, I've been trying to stay away from all things fattening. Sadly, most snacks come under that heading, so I've been rediscovering the joys of dried fruit - the snack you're kind of forced to eat in moderation, or risk suffering very unpleasant side effects. Overindulging in sultanas is the kind of thing you only really do once.

My current fruit of choice is the apricot, so tonight I had a packet beside me for grazing opportunities while I was finishing a sewing job (I've been taken on as a charity case by Flatmate L's workmates. They rummage around for all their sewing needs, then pay me good rates to do them. I can't complain, although it does feel a little work-for-the-dole-ish). As I was putting them away afterwards, I noticed something a little odd about the packaging. I've had this brand before and never noticed it, but then again, I've never looked too far beyond the bit that says ' Dried Apricots', so maybe it's been there all along and I just didn't notice. Because apparently - brace yourself for the shock - this particular packet of dried fruit is suitable for vegetarians. Curious, I looked a little closer.

I'm never looking at food labels again after this though. I always just chose a random brand, I don't think it was even based on price, more that the packet was the first one that came to hand when I remembered that I wanted to buy dried apricots. Except that these aren't just dried apricots. They also include acidity regulators, sulphur dioxide and preservatives. So if they have to advertise that this packet of fruit is suitable for vegetarians, does that mean that somewhere out there is at least one packet with so much other stuff added to it that it isn't? And what about vegans? Don't get me wrong, I think that particular diet system is deeply flawed (did anyone ever see a vegan and think, "That person looks truly happy, and has such a healthy glow about them"? No. It's more along the lines of, "Wow, that person has an eating disorder and needs to get more sunlight, not to mention anti-depressants"). But maybe there are vegans out there who are feeling the unnatural high of chemical additives, and not understanding that it is caused by some animal derivative that was added to their dried fruit in order to increase its shelf life. And if the real fruit in that snack section is only occasionally suitable for vegetarians, what the hell sort of situation is the processed fruit in? No wonder little kiddies get hyperactive at the thought of a fruit bar. Hmm, I wonder if they work into the diet plan? I could use some red food colouring right now...

No comments: