Thursday, January 13, 2011

Giving in to temptation

I have finally succumbed. I should have known it was coming. It's only been acts of supreme will power that have seen me last this long. Perhaps that was why I could never quite kick my cola addiction, I was diverting some of my self-will into avoiding the moment when I would give in. But it's happened. Sometime last week, I caved in and by the end of Monday, I was holding it in my hot little hand.

Yes, I have once again admitted that I am a super nerd, and jumped back on the Apple bandwagon. I am now the proud owner of an iPhone.

Of course, if I was a true nerd, I would have painstakingly typed this blog post into my phone, just to get the little message on the bottom that tells you I have sent this from my iPhone. Because you need to know that I am online, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, where ever I may roam, whatever I may do. I can be switched on all the time. But sadly, my hands, hot as they may be, are not really that small. I have yet to master the art of typing with reasonable accuracy and something vaguely resembling speed. So I'm on my trusty laptop.

Only recently, the laptop hasn't been terribly trusty. So now that I've given in to the iPhone urge, to match my 2 iPods, the thoughts are starting to creep in. Damn those new iMacs look good. I could really use a 27 inch screen. And since my poor baby PC is riddled with viruses that no bloody virus checker seems able to eradicate, the pressure is mounting. I want one. I can already see the arguments building about why I need one. It will be like the iPhone, which I kidded myself was a necessity because my old phone was starting to freeze and was losing some of its functions. Of course, the iPhone doesn't necessarily have the lost functions, but it was necessary, in spite of that. And I got such a good deal. I really would have been almost negligent to leave it there, to have missed the opportunity to buy what, by all accounts, is the most troubled Apple release to date.

Sure, I know the problems. I knew them before I spent 4 days solid playing with the damned thing, meaning that every night it needs to be re-charged. I knew that the App Store would be my downfall. And yet I bought it. Because I am a nerd. Because it has the shiny Apple logo on it. Because it's just. So. Damned. Pretty.

Yep, the temptation is mounting. And, as Alfie Doolittle sang in My Fair Lady, "With a little bit o' luck/ When temptation comes you'll give right in". Then again, Alfie was a 'natural philosopher' in the original version of the play; he knew enough to add another verse which, for me at any rate, usually follows the temptation - "With a little bit o' luck/ You can have it all and not get hooked." Except that's the problem with Apple products. Once you've had one, you are - well, I am - often exactly that. Hooked. Perhaps I'd best put the phone out of sight for now...

No comments: