Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Dating Game

I might have mentioned before that I've been putting a tentative toe back into the murky waters of internet dating. There hasn't been much success. Admittedly, I haven't been pursuing it too hard, but there are a few reasons why. Two glaringly large ones, to tell the truth.

The first is pretty straight forward. Although I've been checking out other people's profiles, I haven't really been up for attempting to contact the ones who were interesting, as a general rule. No good reason why, I just tend to click away before letting them know I'm interested. On the rare occasion that I do click the 'wink' button, there's generally no response. Seems my profile isn't attractive to them. Which leads me to the second reason for my dating fails.

My profile is, I think, fairly straight forward, slightly amusing, and on the whole, better crafted than most of my blog posts. It sets out my criteria as far as age, distance from a set point in Melbourne for them to be living, all the usual things. Yet somehow, this all gets ignored. So far, the contacts from this profile have ranged from the aging locals to the age-appropriate Swiss.

Now call me nuts, but there is something a teensy bit wrong about a 57 year old man winking at a 30 year old, even if it's only electronically. It's old-fashioned and potentially age-ist, I know, but there you have it. If you're old enough to be my father, chances are that I'm not going to be interested in you, whatever you might see in magazines about young women and their billionaire sugar daddies.

Also, if you live across the other side of the country, chances of a healthy long term relationship, not good. Even worse if you're on the other side of the world. And for those who are both twice my age AND on and entirely different continent - perhaps even planet - take the comments above and double them. Triple them. And add in sound effects of me dying laughing at the thought that you meet the criteria of having a bit of a brain.

Yeah, I know, it's harsh. And given, as a friend observed today, that there are no single men left in our age group who aren't single for a good reason, or broken beyond saving by the load of baggage they're carrying, perhaps I shouldn't be so choosy. But dear god, there has to be a better way to meet someone. If anyone knows what it is, please let me know. Because there's no way in hell that the internet is going to work for me.

No comments: