Thursday, January 20, 2011

Monumental Stupidity

One of the hazards - or perks, depending on your point of view - of my work is that I get to deal with the public on a semi-regular basis. Most of the people I deal with are just ordinary folk, going about their business and interacting with me in the way you'd expect as they attempt to get the designs for their homes approved. Some, though, are special.

Take the phone call I had late last week. It was on my direct line - you have to have been running an office on a mobile phone connection for more than 6 months to know just how exciting that statement is! Direct line! Luxury! - and I answered with the usual greeting.

"I was just wondering if you're back from the Christmas break yet?" asked the dimwit on the other end of the line. He is, to date, the most ridiculous person I've dealt with. One of my colleagues snorted when she heard. And fair enough too.

Then there was the landscaper who came into the office today to tell me that someone else had damaged the storm water system, and water was gushing down the hill near where he'd been working. I went up to take a look and discovered that a neighbouring developer had tapped into the water mains on that street and yes, water was gushing down the street, but not from the point where the main had been tapped. It was burbling up from the middle of a nature strip, right about the point where I could see signs that the landscaper's backhoe had been operating. I haven't confirmed anything yet, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it might not have been solely the neighbours' fault that the water was flowing so freely.

There's the serial complainer, who comes in every Monday with a variation on the themes of 'cut the grass so my kid can play in land that doesn't belong to me without me worrying that he'll get bitten by a snake that I'm the only one to have seen', or 'can't you make that person build on their land?' Or perhaps my personal favorite, when is the phone going to be connected? Because I have a crystal ball, and more clout than him in this area, even though for the past 6 months he has been told that we don't know any more about it than he does.

There's the couple who called me back in November to complain that someone had been dumping soil on their (unfenced) lot. I arranged to get the dumper to clear it, but in the meantime it rained. And it kept on raining. Every time a bobcat appeared on site, down came the rain. Until eventually, someone else started dumping. It was inevitable, really. Vacant land in an estate under construction is always treated as a dumping ground for its neighbours. You'd think they'd have learnt from the first lot. But no. A third lot was dumped there over the Christmas break. And suddenly, after I'd done the hard yards and gotten 2 of the 3 dumpers to clear their spoil, it was my fault. I was supposed to advise this couple where they could send the invoice for having the remaining gravel cleared. It was disappointing that they hadn't been aware that we did not undertake the maintenance and security of the land that they were the proud owner of. Have they never looked across the road and seen the mountain of crap that is growing at the dead-end of a street? Or perhaps they might have noticed that our maintenance guys struggle with the land that we still do own, let alone the stuff that we've sold. She should talk to the serial complainer. He's certainly noticed.

Honestly, apart from the stupidity - which is rampant - I've never met a pettier bunch of people than some of the residents of this estate. They complain to each other about us. They complain to us about each other. Occasionally, they will band together and just complain. Loudly. Over and over again. Because apparently, repeating the abuse changes the response into something more favourable to your cause. Yelling at me, yeah, that's going to make me continue to go above and beyond in an attempt to help you. Abuse me now, and then expect me to speed up the approval process for you? It's only going to end in tears. And I think they might be mine.

Yes, I've got January-itus, the illness that afflicts those who have not had more than a week off work in six months. The disease that grabs you when you walk back into the office that first day of the new year, knowing that most people you know are still lazing at home for another week. Knowing that you'll run out of things to do because your industry doesn't fir up until the third week of the year. I've also got off-probation blues, a sense that perhaps I could be doing better elsewhere now I've got a whole six months of experience behind me. The uncertainty that if I jumped ship, like I'm tempted to do, I would end up somewhere that made me actually think, that challenged me, that demanded I put in the hours that I have always hated and avoided.

And in all of this, only one thing is certain. By this time next week, I will have dealt with more people. And more of them will be completely batty than will be sane. Oh the humanity.

No comments: