Friday, January 16, 2009

Follow through

So, the big date has now been and gone. And it went well. It went very well. In fact, right now, I'm grinning like a loon, safe in the knowledge that we have planned a repeat for Saturday night. The catch is that I am now outside my relationship knowledge. I've never really had a date-based relationship before. The only other thing I've had that came close to being classed as a relationship - sometime back around the turn of the millenium, known as the stone age to many - it was a more simple thing. He was without a car, so I picked him up. We went to pubs with mutual friends who were also dating. We went on outtings. We had a whirlwind for a few weeks, then he had to go back to his army unit and I hardly heard from him again after a month or so of his being back in Townsville. This is different. Not only because of me being older, I guess, but for other reasons too. It feels different.

But what the hell do I do know is a question that repeats itself in my head over and over again. I have no idea. Sure, I've read all the romantic books. I can theoretically fill the blanks. But i"m beyond the realms of my practical knowledge. I'm in unfamilliar territory and as happy as I am tonight, I know that the panic attack of last night is unlikely to be the last if things keep going the way they are. Damn this whole excitement thing...I can't handle the stress of having anything that remotely resembles a successful social life!!!

No comments: