Monday, February 02, 2009

Everything's turning to white

It's been snowing in London. Snowing a whole lot, in fact. I went into a bar last night, came out and the world was all soft and white. It turns out it's just as well I left when I did. If I'd stayed I might have either shared the fate of some of the people who were also at the dance class I'd been to and ended up sleeping in the tube station, or I would have faced the hour long walk home through snow that was coming down fairly heavily, by London standards. I also might have missed out on making a snow man last night.

Turns out though that I have had plenty of time to make up for any fun missed last night. It was the worst snow London has endured - the word the news readers are using, not my choice - for around 18 years. It certainly made for a pretty white blanket over everything. The kids in the area were going nuts about it all this morning. With snow so heavy, almost all schools were closed. Many offices were as well. It seems that London was not prepared for the snow. Only one of the tube lines was running without distruption north of the city this morning. I spent the day at home when it became clear that it would be nigh on impossible for me to get into the office without walking there. In fine weather, the walk takes about 2 hours. I hate to think what it would be like in this weather. So I've had the fun of going out in the snow, playing a little, watching kids make enormous snow balls that they rolled from the roundabout up the street onto the footpath, throwing snow balls at each other (I did my throwing last night when flatmate was taking photos of the lovely streetscape) and generally running amok in their unexpected free time. There were 4x4 owners ringing up radio stations gloating that their cars could get them in to work, arguing that this was reason enough to own one even in the inner city. Personally, I think being able to get to work when everyone else I knew had a good excuse not to go was reason enough to never buy one. It was great sitting in my living room and watching the falling snow, cosy and warm inside but able to head outside if I wanted. There's supposed to be more snow later this week, so I'm wondering how the city will cope. Of course by then, this current lot will have disappeared. It's already melting away in spite of steady falls all afternoon.

But all I could think was to wonder if Nice Boy had made it into the city from his commuter-town home, and whether he'd be able to make it for our planned meet-up (fifth date...apparently we're at the dinner and movie stage in his mind now...) later this week. And it makes me struggle to think about which I prefer, snow or date? Because if it snows and public transport gets shut down, he can't make it. But the snow is so beautiful and fun, especially when it scores me a day off work. I'm yet to come up with a solution that lets me have both.

No comments: