Friday, February 06, 2009

Rhythm

I've been back dancing in the past week and have every intention of going regularly once again. We'll see how long that resolution lasts. It was great fun though, and has set me to thinking about various things, not least of which is how to cram as much of it in as I can without spending any money. Quite the challenge as it happens. Another question is how to meet some guys who can lead, so I get to follow for a change. Because the type of dancing I'm talking about here isn't the go-to-a-club-and-stand-in-a-circle-with-your-friends type of dancing - although that does happen sometimes, to a certain extent. No, I'm talking about swing dancing, the joy of jitterbug, lindy hop, charleston and, for the brave, balboa. Maybe even shag. As long as people are around who can find 1 better than most of the people in Sunday's class! I've never heard a group of people clapping supposedly in time to music sound more like a ragged round of applause. The teacher assured us that it's something that can be learned. Some clearly need to study harder than others. Finding the beat was always the one thing I could do without trying though, so shouldn't be too critical of others. Maybe they'll just be better at finding the moves?

There are other questions, as well. I know there's no way I could get nice boy to go along with me to these things. (I can't keep calling him Nice Boy. Sounds too weird. So let's christen him J.D. As in John Doe, but much cooler - can't give away names here. I have discovered that I can be found by Google searches and we can't have people knowing what I write about them unless I know them very well. So maybe his name will appear later - maybe). He's really not the dancing type, as we discovered last night when we ended up in a karaoke bar and ended up trashing almost every person brave enough to get up, while agreeing that we would never do it without a whole lot more alcohol than we were going to be drinking that night. So the juggling act starts to grow - friends, hobbies and potential boys.

There are other dilemmas as well. Next week is Valentine's Day. It is a month since our first date this weekend. I'll be away next weekend, on trip to Lisbon with Flatmate. So, is it appropriate to send a Valentine's text? Was never going to comment about the one month thing, and think in many respects it's better that I am away for St V's as well - too much pressure too soon, I think - but should it be commented on at all? Actually having to think about it is a bit of a novel situation for me, and we're neither of us the most demonstrative people. I'm struggling to find the right rhythm in this situation. Don't want to push too hard, but also want things to move on. God only knows how to manage it. I certainly don't.

No comments: