Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Striking a balance

The world seems to need balance, and there are some things that will never change, however things may shift. Take Flatmate and I. We have only so much satisfaction to be shared out between us, regardless of the area in which we are satisfied. We seem to share out happiness in roughly even measures, job satisfaction and luck with boys.

At the moment, we're about level on job satisfaction. There's good and bad for each of us, with her working longer hours and my job alternating between boring me to tears and stressing me with the lack of security. We're roughly even on mood swings as well. It seems lately that one of us is always up and the other down. Occasionally we'll hit a good patch where we're about even and get the giggles together.

Right now, flatmate is on the first of three dates for the week. Based on the text I got a little while back, it's gong OK, but she's not sure there'll be a repeat performance. She's not likely to be too stressed by that aspect - not nearly as stressed as she was about the date - because she prefers either of the two still to come to this one. Meanwhile, in an evitable sequence of events given the combination of Flatmate having prospects and it being around Valentine's day, I have just fielded one of the more awkward conversations I've ever had. JD - he's destined to have that name forever in here now - has just proven what a nice boy he is and called me to say that he's met someone else in the time since I last saw him, and that he doesn't think he'll be seeing me again. Very decent of him, I know, but rather hard to be on either end of that phone. So, for the first time ever I have a prospect make it past Valentine's Day, only to discover that it fizzled within a week the other side.

So there you have it. Or rather, don't have it right now. It seems that the running is all Flatmate's way. One of these days we'll sort out the balance, and we'll both get what we want. Until then, well, good luck to her.

No comments: