Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Notting Hill ad infinitum

It's official. Hugh Grant is ruining our lives by raising the expectations of women across the world when it comes to relationships (http://www.theage.com.au/news/lifeandstyle/lifematters/reel-love/2009/02/09/1234027939181.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap2). It seems appropriate to warn people about this in the lead up to Valentine's Day. Even more appropriate in light of the poster I saw outside my local shopping/cinema centre advertising Valentine's WEEK activities and specials. They're stretching it to a week now? It was hard enough to endure as a single for a day. Even as part of a potential couple, the thought of an entire week of schmaltz is enough to make me gag.

I am a closet romantic, it's true. I've read more than my share of Chick Lit books where the girl gets her man. I'm contemplating writing a thesis on them, so devoted am I to fluffy literature. I'm a massive fan of the romantic comedy film. I can - and do - talk relationships for hours, days, weeks. But I think if they stretch it to a week, even the most openly romantic soul will become a little jaded. She's my flatmate, so I'd rather not have to deal with it if it happens. There is an antidote in another friend's blog (http://www.treadonme.co.uk/). Whilst she is romantic, and writes openly of her wish to be an Austen style heroine, her sister - also wanting it, if her comments are anything to go by - is more sceptical. And that's as it should be, I think. Hope for the lightening bolt, but realise that even for the greatest artists, inspiration is only part of the battle. As beautiful as a Monet painting is, just think of all the paint stains and hours standing over the easel that must have gone into it unseen by the outside world.

Or perhaps just remember the origins of the word romantic, with the nineteenth century philosophical movement headed by the likes of Wordsworth, able to write wonderful (if over wordy, but who am I to criticise for that?) poetry, but sadly lacking in real world skills. One of the fathers of the Romantic movement left his love and his child behind in revolutionary France; he would not set eyes on them for ten years. Some romantic. Wordsworth's poems weren't the only writings to come out of the Romantic period though. Take a peak into some Gothis literature if you want the antidote to romantic comedies. Yes, there's love and modern kinds of romance in abundance. There's also blood and gore by the bucket and some of the corniest, terrifying villains ever created. So much for romance.

So, in the spirit of the Romantic Wordsworth, I'm heading off for Valentines. Months ago when it was looking like we were both going to be alone once again for that most soppy of days, Flatmate suggested that we take a weekend and head away somewhere that nobody knew us. Ironically, I would actually like to be around for this one now. Funny how that works out...

No comments: