Friday, July 21, 2006

That time of the week

There's something special about certain times of the week. The point at about 8 on a Sunday morning when you realise that there's nothing stopping you from going back to sleep (although this time of morning quite often passes without the smile it deserves when the Saturday night has ended much closer to sunrise than it ought to at my age...). The time on Saturday - whenever it may be - when you meet up with your friends to head out where ever you might be going. Christmas, any time of day. Midnight on New Years Eve. And to this list, I'd like to add 5:30 on a Friday afternoon - especially Fridays.

It's the point where there is no more work to be done for the week (and anyone who's seen how often I post has probably worked out how much I celebrate that moment). The weekend still stretches out in front of you, and whole 2 days for you to do whatever you want (OK, that's not necessarily true, but you've got more say than other days of the week), and no reason to come into the office in the morning. Even leaving my car keys, house keys, credit cards and diary sitting in a bag on my desk when I dashed out of the office at about 5:28 last week wasn't enough to drag me bag to the office, so I survived the weekend without shopping, probably a good thing actually, and used my spare keys to get around. Anything rather than going back to the office! Felt a bit guilty about it on Monday when I found that the guys in the office had waited around in case I came back after they couldn't find my phone number to get in touch with me. I did feel guilty about that, sure. But I'm still going to be running out of here at about the same time tonight. The only difference is that I've told them I'm leaving a bag here deliberately so I don't have to carry it around to various bars tonight when I catch up with a friend straight from work. That way, there's no guilt on Monday. Because, as everybody knows, Monday is enough to deal with all on its own!

No comments: