Monday, July 10, 2006

World Cup insanity

So the World Cup is over, and Italy won. I'm sure it's a big thing if you're Italian - even if you're Italian Australian...What I'm not sure about is whether it is a sane thing to get up at 3 in the morning when you have no ties to either of the countries playing. I have to say, I didn't do it after Australia went out. And for all the people saying that Italy winning is some consolation? No. It's not. We lost. Move on with your lives. Look to the future. Hope we beat the pants off the Italians next time we meet, instead of pondering what-ifs.

One good thing about the world cup though, that my new hobbie (the Tour de France - at least it has a handy highlights package at 6pm every night, even if I hardly ever get home in time to see it) doesn't have. The World Cup united a whole lot of people who would otherwise have nothing in common. They found common ground in hating the referees. For that, we can all be grateful.

And in other exciting news, my hockey team have found a team even more crap than we are. We managed to beat this team for the second time. Shocking but true.

No comments: