Saturday, October 10, 2009

Must love dogs

As I procrastinate my way to another all-night essay writing session, I've been looking at anything and everything that comes to mind on the internet. At least part of this has involved looking at Match.com. One of the things I have discovered in my forays into the world of internet dating, people are endlessly fascinating, and at the same time infinitely stupid about what will be appealing to the opposite sex. 

On what planet could it possibly be a good thing to put a passport photo of yourself as your profile photo? Especially if, as a passport photo, it's still attached to your passport. And has a stamp across the corner of it so everyone knows it's still attached to your passport. I don't know about you, but I've yet to see a good passport photo of someone. I still marvel that the people at passport control can actually tell that the person standing in front of them is the one looking like they've just been arrested for trafficking in child sex slaves on the passport they hand over. Sure, the passport is a notch above the driver's licence (at least you get to choose which shot of you on a slab at the morgue gets pasted into your passport), but it's still not going to impress anyone. 

Photos aren't supposed to be the be-all-to-end-all, though - personality and interests are supposed to play a part. So it's crucial that you can can write about yourself in a way that is going to set you apart from the crowd a little. I've read a whole load of profiles written by guys who are interested in movies and going to the pub - not clubs - with their friends, who are willing to try new things, who don't take themselves too seriously and are looking for a girl who is the same. Believe me, most girls would describe themselves in similar words. But there are so many who don't even run their text through a spell checker. Come on people, it's not rocket science. Although looking at the photo attached to the man who can neither spell, nor find the key that turns off caps lock (not to mention any of the punctuation), it must seem that way to some people.

I know, I'm harsh, judgemental and sometimes downright nasty. And at the end of the day, I can't look down my nose at these people too much because, just like them, I'm still on the shelf. But dear God, if this is what's left in the singles barrel, sometimes I think I'm better off just staying single.

No comments: