Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A strongly worded blog of complaint

It always amazes me just how many people out there have absolutely no awareness of how they impact on other people's lives and comfort. I think, living in a fairly large western city, there are few things that can drive you insane quicker than someone with their head firmly planted in the clouds and no concept of your tutting behind them. The person who dawdles up the middle of a busy footpath. The one who re-heats the pungent leftovers in the office kitchen. The loud, raucous horde of teenagers anywhere.

Today's offender was on the tube. She shoved her way into the carriage behind me, in a gross violation of personal space that saw her with her nose pressed against my back for two stops, at which point she made a mad dash for the aisle. Of course, when seating became free, I ended up with her next to me. And on top of me, as it happened, because she was also one of those people who feel it is necessary to not only lean all the way over the armrest (in my opinion, there not for the support of one's arm, but rather to keep one's neighbour at a suitable distance) but also to open their newspaper in a manner which Basil Fawlty would find understated. So, with my book approximately two inches from my nose, and someone else's elbow firmly planted in my side, I was pressed up against the - it has to be noted, out of fairness - rather attractive chap beside me on the other side. So it was that the excess of bodily contact was shared through the entire carriage. Some say the effect of a butterfly flapping its wings can trigger and earthquake. I would ask what the effect of a short round woman ruffling a newspaper would be, in such terms. 

Of course, I have now been here so long, come to act so much like a local, that I don't voice my annoyance with these people. Admittedly, on occasion I have felt it necessary to mutter to whoever was lucky enough to be my companion that day - often days when I have spoken to someone back in Melbourne, when my Australian-ness is at its peak. On a particularly bad day, I might ask the offender if they mind or tell them by all means to take up the entire entryway. But most of the time, I simply act like I did today, when no amount of squirming, wriggling, or exasperated sighing could draw the offenders attention to their transgression. 

I think it's time that something was done. These people must be told, once and for all, that it is unacceptable for them to have a conversation in the doorway of a shop. That one doesn't simply stop and change direction when walking along the street. Action must be taken, for the sake of society at large. Anyone volunteering to do it, then? No? Tut, thought as much.

No comments: