Saturday, October 10, 2009

Not noteworthy, but needy

I'm still supposed to be doing study so, of course, I'm back cruising the internet. I wandered into the 'blogs of note' section of the blogger site. And it prompted me to ask something. I've been blogging, on and off (more on than off for the past six months or so) since 2006. Three years worth of my thoughts, observations and avoidance issues. And somehow, in all that time, I've never once been even considered, as far as I know, as being a blog of note. Sure, I have readers. there's three of you out there somewhere who come along and read my posts. Well, I know where two of you are but I'm assuming there's a third because there are more visits than can be accounted for by you two (you know who you are). So I get the odd visitor who reads my musings. I've even had a comment or two. Not many, sure, but comments. And I go out there and read other people's things. And what gets me is that those blogs of note? I'm certain some of them aren't as interesting as my collection of angry rants and random neuroses. 

Once, in a similar fit of boredom to what I'm having today, I read some blog advice pages. They suggested that you should have a theme to get people along to your site. I do have a theme. It's me, and all the crap that I think. I know it's crap, it's random, it's often poorly put together (this IS a blog people, it's more like a diary than a newspaper column after all), but it IS about me. All of it. Well, no, not all of it, obviously, there are are some parts which are about people I know. But I'm in there somewhere. That's my theme. 

So how do you do it? How do you get to become a blog of note? I want to be there, on that list of ordinary blogs. Surely 3 and a bit years ought to be enough time? I want my recognition and I want it now.

And if you were picturing a three year old face down on the floor banging fists and feet, you had a fairly close approximation to my state of mind. Apologies for the rant. I've been getting by on four hours of sleep for a week now and I'm not as young as I was when I used to keep this up for a month during my architecture studies. And even then I went slightly batty as a result. Or maybe it's the sugar coursing through my veins to keep me awake. Whatever it is, I'm sure all will be fixed once I finish this essay I'm writing and get back to regular sleeping and diet patterns. That and not feeling guilty every time I leave my desk.

Regular programming will resume shortly.

No comments: